Johnny Marr: 'The Smiths were planning a disco album'

Reply to topic

monsterH ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 03-Mar-2015 03:10

[Quote]

Really? Disco? Maybe Marr got it out of his system with Electronic and Pet Shop Boys, but I have to admit being curious as to how this would've sounded.
Hang the DJ indeed!
===========================================================================================================
Full story: http://www.nme.com/news/the-smiths/83215
Marr reveald former band's intentions before their split in 1987
Johnny Marr has revealed that The Smiths were planning a disco album before they split in 1987.
The singer-songwriter made the announcement in a Q+A with the Guardian, in which he also revealed that he was at his happiest when he woke up "in a dark hotel room in Bayswater one winter's evening in 1984, to find I'd recorded 'How Soon Is Now?' through the previous night."
Marr also said that the living person he most admires is David Hockney, "for work, and for seeming to be inspired", and that his most treasured possession is The Fender Johnny Marr Jaguar he used on Inception – which he wrote the score for - as well as his memory of the first time he played with Chic.
Johnny Marr released his second solo album, 'Playland', last year. Speaking to NME at the time, Marr described how the album addressed the "tension, boredom and anxiety" in society and how it affects people.
In October the Smiths man was joined onstage by Noel Gallagher during his show at the O2 Brixton Academy. The pair then played a cover of Iggy Pop's 'Lust For Life' before launching into The Smiths 'How Soon Is Now?' Marr appears on track 'Ballad Of The Mighty I' on Gallagher's new album 'Chasing Yesterday'.
Meanwhile, last month, David Cameron was presented with a limited edition Salford Lads Club T-shirt which featured a photo of The Smiths. The Prime Minister quoted his favourite band as he said thank you, commenting: "You have made my day. Thank you very much, there is a light that never goes out." Marr previously said Cameron was forbidden from liking the group.
Read More On This Artist
Prime Minister David Cameron presented with The Smiths' Salford Lads Club T-shirt
Smiths fans rush to buy limited edition Salford Lads Club T-shirt
The Smiths' Mike Joyce says Queen should wear 'Queen is Dead' T-shirt during Christmas address
[Profile] [PM]

MickDude

Post 06-Mar-2015 16:51 (after 3 days)

[Quote]

I don't believe it. From everything I've ever read by everyone involved they had no plans after Strangeways. They were very much working in the present at that time.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 08-Mar-2015 23:54 (after 2 days 7 hours)

[Quote]

I don't believe it. From everything I've ever read by everyone involved they had no plans after Strangeways. They were very much working in the present at that time.
Agreed, think he was taking the piss.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 20-Sep 07:32