Not sure if this is the correct place for Q's re Smiths Archive

Reply to topic

jackiewilsonsaid ®

Longevity: 6 years 1 month

Post 11-Sep-2013 16:29

[Quote]

I've DL'd a few DVDs and the remastered BBC / Demos etc - most entertaining and enlightening thank you all.
I have 2 questions:
1. Are there any know issues with downloading from the Archive or does the process sometimes generate errors?
If there is a problem with a zipped file where should it be reported?
Soundsville's 2nd DVD Compilation 85-87 downloads but won't unzip - tried it a couple of times via cable.
And neither does the Live in Europe one. Others no problem, e.g. Soundsville Compilation 1 83-85 is great.
2. I'm already a bit of a Smiths/Morrissey obsessive
[since the Peel first broadcasts when I was at home after some US travels - looking for a job and then I found a job and neglected to see them live after prioritising work - doh!]
I can see how it gets people with access to all this Archive stuff too.
Should I just accept it and listen to Everything or apply some quality control and try and pick out the best of the best?
cheers
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Longevity: 13 years

Post 11-Sep-2013 18:39 (after 2 hours 9 minutes)

[Quote]

I believe I've downloaded this in the past but it shouldn't be in a zip. It would normally be in a DVD format, i.e. VOB's and IFO's. If you double click the video_ts.ifo it should run the DVD using your favourite DVD player. I think the start page (not sure if thats the right word for a DVD menu box) is a tad wonky but does work.
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 11-Sep-2013 18:40 (after 1 minute)

[Quote]

There are two methods of getting the files from the archive. One is to download via their website as you seem to be doing. The other it to sync it using their copy.com client.
https://www.copy.com/install/
It sounds like downloading direct from the website isn't foolproof for large downloads. I'd stick with the sync software.
As to what to listen to, PJLM has information on the best recordings from each tour. If you're starting out, a fun exercise is to listen to the tracks that are played live a long time before they were recorded in the studio. They can sound quite difference.
http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/live-smiths.htm
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Post 11-Sep-2013 18:41 (after 47 seconds)

[Quote]

I believe I've downloaded this in the past but it shouldn't be in a zip.
If you download a folder from the website it packages it as a big zip for easy download. I think that's what he's getting at.
[Profile] [PM]

jackiewilsonsaid ®

Post 11-Sep-2013 23:45 (after 5 hours)

[Quote]

Thanks all for comments - worked it out with those pointers. It's like Dropbox in reverse.
Copy can work away in the background ...
Yes, David an historical [live] perspective will be a good starter for 10.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 12-Sep-2013 10:27 (after 10 hours)

[Quote]

In terms of recommendations that question is asked and answered fairly frequently:
http://smithstorrents.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3208
There's been some notable additions since then but they should be quite easy to spot.
I've not downloaded everything, probably just a small percentage of the live audio as I'm more interested in video and alternative studio versions but I'm sure many of the regulars on here will have pretty much everything somewhere.
[Profile] [PM]

jackiewilsonsaid ®

Post 12-Sep-2013 11:48 (after 1 hour 21 minute)

[Quote]

Thanks Sweet FA for the info and link.
It's a bit of lottery win for Smiths/Morrissey fans to have access to all this stuff,
but I guess you become accustomed to and enjoy the new wealth.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 19-Oct 02:44