UK public domain recordings

Reply to topic

savbomb ®

Longevity: 5 years

Post 25-May-2013 14:46

[Quote]

A question for David A.
Recordings originally released before 1st Jan 1963 are in the public domain in the UK. Anyone is free to distribute them, as long as they pay songwriting royalties on any profits they make. Can such recordings (e.g. Morrissey/Marr influences) be shared using this site?
[Profile] [PM]

DavidA

Longevity: 11 years

Post 25-May-2013 22:01 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

Is that a UK law or an international law?
Regardless, I've posted influences before. I'm not too worried about sharing those old records here.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 26-May-2013 00:40 (after 2 hours 39 minutes)

[Quote]

Uk I think. Pretty sure the law has since changed which stopped the early Beatles recordings becoming PD.
[Profile] [PM]

savbomb ®

Longevity: 5 years

Post 26-May-2013 11:06 (after 10 hours)

[Quote]

There's an EU Directive, although it hasn't been implemented in the UK yet, meaning that the copyright term should change from a 50-year term to a 70 year term before the end of 2013. As you say, it's basically a "Beatles clause" and it means there will be a 20-year stop on copyrights expiring.
In terms of other countries, I don't really know, but I *think* the 50-year rule is Europe wide. The rules are more complicated in the US, because it's governed by a patchwork of state laws. But, apparently, it is rare for sound recordings to be public domain in the US, no matter how old they are. I was thinking that UK law would apply here, though, because it is a UK-registered site.
What I'm planning is to seed a compilation of maybe 20 or so Smiths influences are legal in the UK, if it's OK by David. I would have thought there needs to be some caution somewhere, or else I'll start seeding Rolling Stones CDs and get the whole site busted :twisted:.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 26-May-2013 11:49 (after 42 minutes)

[Quote]

Personally I'd rather have a thread explaining the influence and then an amazon download link if it's available there - 69p isn't going to break someone financially.
If it's not on Amazon or iTunes it's fair game for me, from a purely non-legal perspective of course!
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 26-Jun 22:33