Video editing software

Reply to topic

angryelvis ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 27-Oct-2012 17:53

[Quote]

I'm looking for suggestions on video editing software. I've pulled the recent Colbert appearance but I want to remove the commercials between the interview & performance. I've tried Avidemux but it won't launch so that choice is out. I would prefer Mac software, in or out of the app store, for no more than $40. I'm just looking to do simple editing, I'm no looking for the high end products. Any help?
[Profile] [PM]

fab eberhard

Longevity: 7 years 5 months

Post 03-Nov-2012 13:53 (after 6 days)

[Quote]

why aren't you just using imovie? it's big and piggish on the mac but it's there... there are some simple open source apps as well... look on sourceforge
[Profile] [PM]

steve

Post 03-Nov-2012 16:45 (after 2 hours 52 minutes)

[Quote]

Get MPEG Streamclip - http://www.squared5.com/
Its free and available for the mac.
Allows you to edit and save in the same format without having to re-encode.
Also to transcode between formats if that's what you want to do.
imovie requires that you transcode to a compatible format before editing ... and then transcoding back if you want to put it on DVD. MPEG Streamclip allows you to edit mpg files (or vobs) directly and export them back to mpeg or mv2 and Ac3 with no transcoding.
really easy to use and great quality re-encodes when you need them. Did I mention that it was free
[Profile] [PM]

fab eberhard

Longevity: 7 years 5 months

Post 04-Nov-2012 18:12 (after 1 day 1 hour)

[Quote]

lol... steve rules! cheers...
[Profile] [PM]

angryelvis ®

Post 04-Nov-2012 18:33 (after 20 minutes)

[Quote]

I've never been able to do anything in iMovie without applying a 'theme' to it. I tried Avidemux 2.6 from Sourceforge but it never launches. No idea what the problem is. I'll look at MPEG Streamclip today. Thanks for the suggestion.
[Profile] [PM]

angryelvis ®

Post 04-Nov-2012 21:53 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

Worked out real well. I converted to MP4 because I don't have the MPEG-2 component (how can apple sell that at the same price as an OS upgrade?). I will post the show soon.
Steve, I went with all default options. If you think I should have cone it differently let me know.
[Profile] [PM]

steve

Post 05-Nov-2012 09:07 (after 11 hours)

[Quote]

The default options are probably best unless you know what they all mean.
I forgot that you had to have the quicktime MPEG-2 component to work with mpg files.
[Profile] [PM]

bisonrav

Longevity: 6 years 10 months

Post 26-Jan-2013 14:42 (after 2 months 21 day)

[Quote]

I've been doing a lot of work on video restoration over the past couple of years (not Smiths but same period).
I'm very happy to offer practical assistance and help where needed. It's a bit of a black art, and it's worth spending the time to get the best possible results because the sources are fragile and getting pretty scarce. Drop me a PM.
The two tools I use the most are virtualdub and avisynth (they work together). They're both freeware - avisynth is a scripting language with associated filters and virtualdub lets you see the results essentially. You can work frame by frame and it allows mixing of sources to fix damage. Ive got scripts to resize, change video rate, fix damage and streaking, etc and there's not much I've been unable to do with it. It's a great toolset and there are variants of virtualdub that can handle mpeg source as input, though generally it works with uncompressed AVI. Avisynth can open most formats one way or another.
Then there are a number of tools for trimming mpeg sources. For example the products from Womble are pretty good, the advantage is they it doesn't re-encode unless it absolutely has to to make a cut at a specific frame (mpeg modifies subsequent frames from an iframe which is fully encoded, and s mpegstreamclip and others can only cut at iframes which are every few frames so it can be a bit untidy). Mpeg video wizard is good but expensive (there's a free trial if you have only one or two projects), but they also do a cheaper cut tool. As usual with anything mpeg based, you want to avoid re-encoding if possible because that compounds losses.
If you have precious material on VHS the best route is to use an S-VHS player for the capture and a PCI capture board (the USB ones will drop frames). I'll be very happy to discuss specifics and I have the kit if needed. I've also seen very good results also from VHS to DVD recorders, particularly Panasonic though I don't have one of those. Like with audio though, you can only work with what comes off the tape, and care at that stage is critically important.
Do feel free to PM me for advice, very happy to help.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 17-Oct 06:04