Marr blocks comedy album covers

Reply to topic

ravenslament. ®

Longevity: 8 years 5 months

Post 05-Oct-2010 14:30

[Quote]

Marr blocks comedy album covers
TV host fronts Harry Hill's TV Burp and, as a spin-off of the programme, releases records poking fun at artist's songs.
But his attempt to cover tracks by Marr has not been well received - the rocker has refused his request, according to The Sun.
A source tells the publication, "(Hill's) already on his third choice of album title and now Johnny's had a sense of humour bypass."
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/1/20101005/ten-marr-blocks...ers-c60bd6d.html
what do you think ?
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Longevity: 11 years

Post 07-Oct-2010 11:22 (after 1 day 20 hours)

[Quote]

I'd not buy it but Harry Hill's always been a bit of a Smiths fan so i doubt it'd be offensive, just not something that'd lend itself to repeated listenings.
I hadn't realised you could stop someone from recording your songs anyway?
Doubt Sid Vicious had permission for "My Way"....
[Profile] [PM]

ravenslament. ®

Post 07-Oct-2010 13:48 (after 2 hours 26 minutes)

[Quote]

your right there sweet fa , i thought it was the publishers who hold the rights to a persons songs but then again michael jackson held the publishing rights to northern songs . also most dance tracks sample other tracks without permission anyway.
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 07-Oct-2010 18:28 (after 4 hours)

[Quote]

Anyone can perform and record someone else's song it's the recording that is protected I think, you can stop someone from sampling a track or putting it on a compilation album though. As you say it's whoever owns the publishing rights who grants permission for use of a particular recording. No-one has ever granted permission to sample Beatles songs but Beastie Boys' "Paul's Boutique" samples several. Top album that.
[Profile] [PM]

ravenslament. ®

Post 07-Oct-2010 20:04 (after 1 hour 36 minutes)

[Quote]

looking at the credits to paul's boutique its a publishers nightmare , there must be in excess of seventy samples at least . hip hop / rap use lots of samples as do the orb for instance .
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA

Post 08-Oct-2010 08:11 (after 12 hours)

[Quote]

looking at the credits to paul's boutique its a publishers nightmare , there must be in excess of seventy samples at least . hip hop / rap use lots of samples as do the orb for instance .
Yeah the Dust Brothers produced that one and made it very sample-heavy as it wasn't til the next album that the group were confident enough to play most of the music "properly".
The Chemical Brothers were originally known as The Dust Brothers but had to change their name to avoid confusion with the "Paul's Boutique" producers.
[Profile] [PM]

morningmegabar

Longevity: 6 years 9 months

Post 24-Jan-2011 14:34 (after 3 months 16 days)

[Quote]

I think Paul's Boutique came out just around the time that the companies started to bring in laws re: sampling. (De La Soul's debut and the KLF album had caused headaches!)
The fact that the Beatles samples are still on Paul's Boutique may have had something to do with the Beasties signing Sean Lennon to their label?
Back to Harry Hill .. Morrissey's reaction to Harry Hill's impersonation of him on Ross a few years back was pretty priceless. Don't think he was very impressed.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 17-Oct 11:26