To people that download dozens of things at once.....

Reply to topic

SweetFA ®

Longevity: 11 years

Post 21-Jun-2009 09:03

[Quote]

My upload speed tends to be around 80-100kb/s these days so i'll happily upload at that speed to someone but if it's only going at 10kb/s because of everything else they're downloading i won't bother, why should i have to leave my PC on 10x as long?
I don't want to single anyone out but i've just broken off seeding something when i noticed it was going slow because of the other 21 torrents they were downloading at the time.
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 21-Jun-2009 09:40 (after 36 minutes)

[Quote]

I've made a small ammendment which should stop this mad leeching from happening. Feedback from anyone who notices any strange/untoward things happening greatly appreciated :)

Last edited by the Flea on 2009-06-23 19:19; edited 1 time in total
[Profile] [PM]

Demian

Post 23-Jun-2009 18:35 (after 2 days 8 hours)

[Quote]

Well, I can understand you perfectly!
In the nearest past I got bored and even a little bit angry when browsing the tracker page for 0-seeder torrents but with at least 1 leecher and then I found about 20 torrents and there was always the same user (known but not mentioned here), which made me far away from re-seeding.
On the other hand... I lost some bytes due a damaged hdd some months ago, which makes me want to get the last (unrecoverable) bytes again (most of my 5-6 broken torrents are 95-99,9% completed).
Now I checked the tracker status and it says, only 5 leeches allowed, which means for me that I have to stop my queue every "Steve"-Friday evening (at least), so I find 5 a bit restrictive. ;-)
(and... I would not call myself a lazy seeder ;-))
Regards, Demian
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Post 23-Jun-2009 19:21 (after 45 minutes)

[Quote]

Anyone else feel that 5 is a bit on the low side ?
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA ®

Post 23-Jun-2009 19:45 (after 23 minutes)

[Quote]

I think 10 would be too many, not sure i've ever downloaded as many as 5 at a time on here. Way i see it the seeders are doing people a favour so the quicker they can complete the seeding and give their pc and bandwidth a rest the better.
[Profile] [PM]

Demian

Post 23-Jun-2009 23:07 (after 3 hours)

[Quote]

Don't get me wrong, I agree with kind of limitations. I was also thinking where to choose the limit barrier and agree in general, 10 could be already too generous.
Would it be possible to make it dependent on ratio (or amount uploaded) to have some kind of classification?
I usually also never had a lot of leeching torrents but I am a long time user who is quite up-to-date (like everybody else until now in this thread). But what about new users (who are seriously into it) and for them, how long would it take to reach that kind of level? e.g. I can only offer 40 kB/s (provider) upload and in the case, I'm the only seeder, it takes quite a while (cos I seed probably other torrents too). Just to keep this in mind....
And should the serious pay for the crazy ones?
Anyway, some of you might have the better overview and what kind of (new) users are on this board now and what are their download behaviours. Maybe my view is a little bit too idealistic (or optimistic).
Regards, Demian
[Profile] [PM]

SweetFA ®

Post 23-Jun-2009 23:12 (after 4 minutes)

[Quote]

Probably comes down to how you use Smithstorrents Demian, i tend to download only 1 or 2 things at a time which means i tend to get something completed quicker than if i was downloading more than that simultaneously.
[Profile] [PM]

toonewforglue

Longevity: 8 years 3 months

Post 01-Jul-2009 17:02 (after 7 days)

[Quote]

Wow, 21 downloads at once! I do no more than 4 at a time, and I thought that was a bit much.
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 22-Oct 06:34