Firewall question

Reply to topic

Handsome_Devil ®

Longevity: 9 years 7 months

Post 06-Apr-2009 21:06

[Quote]

I seem to be firewalled & therefore not able to seed to my expectations. I have Norton 360 installed on my comp but turning that off doesn't seem to disable the firewall.
My pc has Windows XP & my browser is IE 6 or 7 & I use ABC Bittorrent client.
Does windows have a firewall that is making my uploads & downloads slow?
Can I change port numbers on ABC?
Thanks....
[Profile] [PM]

the Flea

Longevity: 11 years

Post 07-Apr-2009 07:51 (after 10 hours)

[Quote]

Have you tried moving to another client that does have port number changing abilities, uTorrent does have this ability.
[Profile] [PM]

Handsome_Devil ®

Longevity: 9 years 7 months

Post 07-Apr-2009 14:44 (after 6 hours)

[Quote]

I'll try uTorrent then, thanks. I used to use Azerus & I don't remember having a problem with that client.
[Profile] [PM]

XAVeRY

Longevity: 9 years 1 month

Post 07-Apr-2009 22:37 (after 7 hours)

[Quote]

The problem may be beyond your computer's software firewall. Firewalling may be imposed on how you access the Internet. If you are using what is technically called a "residential gateway", more commonly known as a router (wireless or wired, doesn't matter), chances are (and they're quite big) that you're behind a hardware firewall and a so-called NAT machine. To make a long story short, NAT makes it unable for clients from the Internet to connect directly to your computer, something that is not essential, but definitely recommended when you're using peer-to-peer networks. There is a way to get over it, called port forwarding.
So investigate the way you connect to the Internet first. uTorrent may help as well, since it implements UPnP and NAT-PMP. These are the protocols that allow programs that need port forwarding to automagically forward the ports they need.
Last but not least, Windows, starting from XP SP2 (or SP1, I'm not quite sure) has an built-in software firewall. Most applications that need port forwarding (uTorrent too) automagically disable it for the ports they need themselves, so that you don't need to do anything. Personally, I keep the Windows Firewall off at all times.
Hope this cleared things up a bit,
-D
[Profile] [PM]
Display posts:    
Reply to topic

Current time is: 26-Jun 03:39